How can I help?
- BECOME A MEMBER.
Become a one of many members of the Friends of Fire Island National Seashore. Fill out the FFINS MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION.
- DONATE YOUR TIME.
VOLUNTEER on a FFINS project or event, or with the National Seashore.
- DONATE FUNDS.
Directly support the Fire Island National Seashore by DONATING ONLINE.
- START A FFINS CHAPTER AT YOUR SCHOOL.
Support the National Seashore on your campus. EMAIL US.
- Invite your friends and family to join FFINS!
Please contact us if you would like additional information on how to help.
Check out the National Park Service projects and events happening on Fire Island.
Sign up to volunteer or work for the National Park Service.
For MORE opportunities, visit
FFINS Project Goals
- Improve visitor center to be equivalent to other national parks.
- Revive the environmental education program for students that ended in 1995.
- Expand the number and length of time lifeguards and seasonal staff are available.
- Return island information centers at Watch Hill and Sailors Haven to full operation. They are now open only 5 days a week in the summer and closed the rest of the year.
- Increase the number of summer rangers to restore late night and overnight service.
- Fund needed repairs and maintenance of buildings, boardwalks, restrooms, sewer and water systems
- Improve conditions at the Patchogue Ferry Terminal.
- Improve the ability to inventory and monitor wildlife, impact of storms and changes to vegetation.
Here are some of the events that FFINS takes part in every year. Check our events page and get involved!
Fire Island National Seashore Orientation Tour
for Park Partners and Volunteers
Take a scenic trip across the Great South Bay over to Fire Island from the Patchogue-Watch Hill Ferry Terminal. Visit the primary visitor facilities on Fire Island and discuss current resource issues with the Fire Island National Seashore staff. Get the "behind the scenes" look into the operations of the National Park Service while enjoying the spectacular views and wildlife of the Fire Island National Seashore.
The "Essence of Fire Island" Photography Exhibition and Fundraiser
Get the chance to view captivating photographs from the Nature and Wildlife Photographers of Long Island Nature Photography Exhibit located in the Watch Hill Ferry Terminal multi purpose room. A portion of the proceeds go to support FFINS. Come on down, browse the collection and if you see something that is particularly appealing make a purchase.
Sailors Haven/ Sunken Forest Day at the Beach
for SUNY Stony Brook International Students
A great opportunity for international students from SUNY Stony Brook to explore the wonders of the Fire Island National Seashore. Take a ferry ride from the Sayville Ferry Terminal across to Sailors Haven community on Fire Island. Take a stroll along the beach, learn about the unique ecology and wildlife, and take a walk through the Sunken Forest.
Patchogue Village Christmas Holiday Boat Parade
View local boat owners parade thier creatively decorated boats down the Patchogue River from the docks Patchogue- Watch Hill Ferry Terminal. Enjoy refreshments, live music, and entertainment through out the night. See which boat wins a prize! Support FFINS by donating or purchasing a refreshement!
Fire Island National Seashore Pet Photos with Santa Fundraiser
to Benefit Post Hurricane Sandy Relief Effort on Fire Island
Take the family dog, cat, or bird to the Paumanok Veterinary Hospital to pose for a precious photoshoot with Santa. All proceeds will fund FFINS.