About Friends of Fire Island National Seashore
The Friends of Fire Island National Seashore (FFINS) is a not-for-profit organization formed by concerned citizens interested in preserving the natural beauty and history of the Fire Island Seashore, independent of the National Park Service. We have been a partner of the Fire Island National Seashore and National Park Service since June 2003.We raise funds, volunteer, and support the National Seashore in preserving and protecting natural and historical resources of this outstanding national park.
The mission of the Friends of Fire Island National Seashore is to encourage proper stewardship of park resources, to foster cooperative and mutual communication between the National Park Service, communities and user groups, and to promote environmentally sound access to and awareness of the various aspects of the Fire Island National Seashore.
Check out the Annual FFINS Orientation Trip to Fire Island!
What can the Friends of Fire Island National Seashore do that the National Park Service cannot?
By law, parks can accept donations, but not solicit them. Park officials are prohibited from advocating for legislation or funding from elected officials. The Friends of Fire Island National Seashore can advocate for the Seashore and let our elected officials and others know how important the park is for the millions of people who live, work, and play here.
Why should private citizens support national parks?
Parks are an integral part of everyone's communities. Fire Island National Seashore, including the William Floyd Estate, represents the long heritage of this area as well as opportunities for sight-seeing, bird watching, hiking, camping, fishing, boating, beach activities, and other recreation. Community support ensures that the park is able to continue to provide valued services and expand facilities and services beyond what is available from federal funding. In addition, the Friends group is able to represent the community directly to the park management on a regular basis. Find out more information about Fire Island National Seashore. There are more than 150 groups supporting our national parks.
What Has FFINS Accomplished? Help Us To Continue Our Success!
- Started the Annual Orientation Tour to Fire Island for Stony Brook University International students.
- Provide the Annual Volunteer Appreciation/ Orientation Tour to Fire Island for FFINS members.
- Colaborate with The Nature and Wildlife Photographers of Long Island on the photo art show at the Watch Hill Ferry Terminal.
- Started student chapters of FFINS at St. Joseph's College (SJC) and Stony Brook University (SBU).
- Started a blast email system to disseminate important information about FFINS to local people.
- Sponsor the Bi-annual Fire Island National Seashore Science Conference.
- Sponsor the Annual Christmas Boat Parade at Watch Hill Ferry Terminal.
- Supported the construction of the new Watch Hill Ferry Terminal.
- Speak to local rotary clubs about the value of the Fire Island National Seashore.